Climbing up the career ladder is what most people aim for; as to them this is what motivates them and a proof that they have exceeded expectations. It takes more than hard work to level up in your profession. Being a good employee does not always equate to getting promoted, and being a good employee does not necessarily mean that this individual makes a good leader. What does it take to be in a leadership role and what are some of the essential skills and mindsets needed to climb that corporate ladder?
Embrace Positive and Growth Mindset
Everything starts with a positive mindset. Do not expect that you can manage a team or resolve problems if you have negative thoughts lingering in your brain. But of course, stress and high demand at work can sometimes hinder you from being positive. Thus, you need to pause or slow down, let go of what you are doing, and have a quiet time for yourself. Let the high emotions die down first before you solve any problem.
It could help if you surround yourself with positive quotes that will motivate and remind you every single day. You could add these to your desktop, write it down on your planner, or save it as a home screen on your mobile phone.
More so, have a growth mindset. Regardless if it is a challenge at work, be grateful because that opens up an opportunity to learn more.
Have No Fear
As a new employee or a fresh graduate, we sometimes underestimate ourselves. Thus, we always fear that we are going to make mistakes at work. But that can cripple your minds even more and as a result, you won’t be able to perform your job well. Let that fear go and face everything with courage.
Be Flexible, a Problem-Solver and a Collaborator
As we’ve said, it’s not just about working hard but rather taking a more holistic approach when you work. One should be flexible and be able to change strategies depending on the situation. This allows you to become a better problem solver which is also another characteristic that could help you climb higher.
Now, ask yourself, how can one person lead a team if he doesn’t learn how to work with others? It’s synonymous to being a team player.
80 – 20 Rule
Traditional workers will say you have to work hard. Others will contest that working smart is the way to go. But we say, in order to leave a positive impression to the management, you need to have the right balance of working hard and smart.
We recommend using the 80 – 20 rule; allocate 80% of your time to work smart, and the remaining 20% to work hard. Find tools that can help you finish tasks faster, and work harder to get the best results.
Find What You Love and Leverage on Your Strengths
You have to discover your true-self. Ask what are the things you enjoy and what are the things you are good at. Leverage on your strengths and focus on these things more. Once you improve, promotion will soon follow.
It’s Not About Yourself Anymore
Getting a promotion or being a leader means you are not only accountable for yourself. But rather, you have to think about your team members. It is your task to ensure that your team members are growing. So apart from asking them about project updates, you will need to show real empathy.
However, this is not to say that you have to be a people-pleaser. It is always important to form good and positive relationships with your team.
It’s Okay to Ask for Help
Remember that as human, we don’t know everything. So as a leader, it’s okay to acknowledge your shortcomings. However what matters most is that you find ways on how you can learn things and at the same time, do not be afraid to ask for help when needed. Your members also have their own strengths that can help the team. There’s no need to feel embarrassed.
Although everyone in your team could be competing to get to the next higher job role, don’t forget that all of you are on a fair level playing field. Just do your best. Your will and the outputs that you produced will eventually prove your worth.